Friday, September 16, 2011

My Simple Craft Room...and finally, Pegboard!


Yes, this is the entire room.  It might be small, but it's all mine.


My tiny craft room is finally ready.  I'm not.  But hopefully soon I'll feel like crafting again. 

It's nice to be on the main level of the house.  I can keep an eye on the kids without constantly running up and down the stairs (which is a danger zone for me), and the view is better from here.

To save money, I tried to repurpose furniture and items from around the house as much as possible.  It isn't the fanciest room ever, but it fit into my current budget (which is just slightly above zero dollars), so it's all good.


I used inexpensive cafe rods to hang my punches.  Adding an extra center support made this work.

Some of the punches wanted to fall on my head, so I banished them to a basket on the table.




An old wall shelf holds my ink pads. 
I attached cup hooks on the underside to keep my blending tools handy.




Magnetic canisters hold buttons, brads and flowers. 
A few pieces of the children's artwork purchased from their school hang beside them to put a smile on my face (as long as I don't think about the dent they put in my wallet).


Bookshelves that were already in the room now hold most of my supplies.
My husband installed additional adjustable shelving between the two main units.


Baskets from my neglected closet now hold Sizzix dies. 
(Who has time for clothes anyway?)


More Sizzix dies. 
Now that I can find them, I'm more likely to use them.


Cuttlekids machine and dies; Sizzix boxed sets.
Again, I can reach them, therefore I'll use them.  Probably.

Photo boxes hold Cricut cartridge handbooks and overlays in alphabetic order.



Embossing folders and texture plates.  I threw away the outer packaging on most,
but kept the cardboard inserts for easy identification.

Large binders hold clear stamps grouped by theme


Stamp sets were slipped into page protectors. 
For the larger sets, I used staples to divide protectors into sections,
then cut with scissors to make pockets. 
I found this idea somewhere in cyberspace. Wish I could give credit,
but it has been longer than 5 minutes so the info has been deleted from my memory.



Small stamp sets (those you find for $1) are in baseball card protector pages. 
Post-It flags were used to separate and identify themed sections.



Wire towers hold paper stacks.  Each pad is labeled for quick identification. 
I used S-hooks to hang Cricut mats along one side,
and I have over-the-cabinet-door wire baskets hanging on the other side to hold tools.

More paper storage and my teeny, tiny tv (at least I can hear the shows). 
Cricut cartridges and inks are in pull-out drawers.

Cricut cartridges are labeled with Post-It flags and kept in alphabetical order. 
I found these little green baskets at Big Lots a while back, 3-for-a-dollar.


Even though I didn't have a good spot for my spinner storage, I couldn't bear to part with it. 
It's perfect for Stickles, embossing powder and glitter.

Expandable bamboo storage trays made to organize utensil drawers were
hung from the wall to hold my mounted rubber stamps. 
 I attached picture hanging hardware to the back along one side of each
so that gravity would cause them to fully extend.



This long folding table was the work surface in my old space.  It now holds cardstock and other loose paper.  Underneath are plastic storage drawers, which hold various tools and supplies.


I decided to finally use some of my hoard of vinyl to dress up the walls. 
(Serenity is another dream of mine, right behind the desire for pegboard. 
Hey, that happened, so maybe I'll find serenity some day, too.)

Vinyl Butterflies. 
(My mind is thinking, "I'll fly away, oh glory, I'll fly away..."...Yep, some day.)


Birds adorn my favorite wall...my pegboard wall, that is.  More thoughts of taking flight.


Love these little pegboard baskets I found at Home Depot!


I used an old lipstick holder to keep my mini misters upright.  This is why I can't throw anything away.

I cut strips of foam and glued them inside the squares to hold the mini misters securely.


An old door shelf unit mounted to the wall holds rolls of ribbon.  My husband advised me that since it's full, there would be no reason to buy more ribbon.  He has his dreams, too.


This storage case is perfect for my Sizzix paddle punches. 
And now that it's within easy reach on my shelves, I might actually use them.



A separate zippered compartment in the storage case holds the hammer and mat for the paddle punches.

And the dream that started it all...A wall of pegboard.

It might not be the most beautiful craft room, but it's functional.  At least, I think it will be.  I haven't actually made anything in there yet.  Mostly I sit and stare at the awesomeness of my pegboard.



4 comments:

Dianna said...

I'm speechless!!! And THAT is saying something!! Looks awesome and very functional! I'm SO jealous!

Carolyn/MamaC said...

What a wonderful and well organized craft room! Have fun!
Carolyn
cccscraproom@windstream.net
http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Vanessa too! Neat! I stumbled on to your blog by surfing the net for Wild Card cartridge ideas. I love your craft room! It's very nice and very organized with all kinds of lovely goodies! Love it!

OCCricut said...

Thank YOU for sharing how you've organized everything ... I, too, am more obsessed with purchasing and sorting and organizing than creating .... Oh, and looking at other craft rooms on line!!! hahaha

I've really enjoyed reading your blog. So very real and very funny. What a blessing you are to your grandchildren!!! TFS!