I started with a double-sided 12x12 sheet of cardstock, and cut it into 3x3 inch pieces, which gave me 8 sets of cards. I used the Cricut cartridge Boys will be Boys to cut images that I knew would be perfect for Logan.
After piecing the image layers together and attaching them to each card, I realized the cardstock wasn't really as sturdy as I had hoped. I decided to cut another heavier sheet of 12x12 cardstock and glue it to the back of each card.
I then laminated all the cards using my Xyron Creative Station and the two-sided laminate cartridge.
Did you know you can cut the laminate right up to the edge of your paper? I only recently learned this in the product description on the Xyron website. I do suggest that you make your layered image small enough that you have a wide, flat margin around the edges of the card to allow the laminate to stick firmly to the card base.
Eight pairs of cards is probably a lot for a two-year-old, but I figured his parents could start him off with only a few and gradually add more as he progresses. (Okay, I admit that as his grandmother I think he's a genius and can match as many cards as you put in front of him.)
I thought a small drawstring bag would be the perfect container for the game, so I dusted off my sewing machine and made one. I decided to personalize it with iron-on vinyl. I used the Cricut Craft Room design program to size and arrange my letters (from the Cricut cartridge Plantin Schoolbook) so that I could easily transfer them to the fabric bag.
In hindsight (which seems to be my preferred method of looking at things), I probably shouldn't have used the cord lock since it could possibly become detached and create a choking hazard. I guess I just got carried away because I was actually making something!
|My sweet grandson sharing his new toy with his sister.|