Friday, February 19, 2016
I don't get creative ideas very often, and when I do, they often go wrong in every way possible. This card was no exception.
Shaker cards have become a favorite of mine. For this card I wanted to try something I hadn't done before. I thought it would be fun to have a window that was open to the inside of the card, and I wanted to try coloring a stamped image with Distress Markers.
I used a Nestabilities die to create matching openings in the card base, the card front and an inner liner. I also used the same die, along with the next size up in the Nestabilities set, to create a frame for the window front. I cut two pieces of acetate for the window and used fun foam to create the space between them to allow room for the sequins.
For the inside of the card I cut a piece of watercolor paper slightly smaller than the folded base, stamped a cute birthday image in black StazOn ink so that it would be visible through the window, and colored it in with Tim Holtz Distress Markers.
It took three attempts to get a passable project completed, and I learned a few things along the way: The scalloped openings were difficult to line up, so I'll use plain circles if I ever try this again; cheap fun foam likes to stretch out of shape when it's run through a die-cutting machine; and I don't possess the skill it takes to create beautiful watercolor images. But it was fun (well, eventually) and I was able to make a one-of-a-kind card for someone I love.
Thanks for stopping by!