Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bracelets from Grungeboard

I wanted to post something crafty today, but since I haven't made anything in a while I had to dust off this project from Christmas.
 
Christmas for our family this year was kind of "Little House on the Prairie".  There wasn't a huge pile of money sitting around, so after digging change out of the sofa cushions to buy the must-have items I had to get creative to keep the stack of presents from looking so..tiny.
 
I had seen this idea on the Martha Stewart Show a while back and tucked it away in the recesses of my mind.  Of course finding it there when I needed it wasn't easy.   So I went to MarthaStewart.com and found the video.  Much easier.

My bracelets are a little different from those shown in the video, but the overall idea is the same.  Since I didn't have sturdy leather for the bands, I used Tim Holtz grungeboard instead.  After cutting the strips to size with a craft knife, I painted them to resemble leather using Martha Stewart satin finish craft paint in Chestnut Brown.  I had planned to add monogrammed metal elements to the front of each, but for various reasons that just didn't happen.  What I did instead was use a couple of oval shapes from a Tim Holtz grungeboard pack called Mixed Minis Plain, and to make them resemble metal I painted them with Martha Stewart metallic craft paint in Sterling.  I let everything dry for a few hours, then punched holes for the beads with my Martha Stewart screw punch.  I used the Making Memories Magnetic Stamp Set to emboss each girl's initial into one of the oval shapes, and then took a fine tip permanent marker and traced inside each letter to make them stand out.  I used some heavy coated thread from my jewelry-making stash to form the loop closure at one end, after which I continued threading in and out of the holes to attach the beads and oval shapes, and finally finished at the other end by adding a button.



 
 
Thanks for looking!

5 comments:

jennifer berkhahn said...

what a great idea! Brilliant really. I love these. My son wears these type of bracelets all the time. I always enjoy coming to your blog for inspiration (both mentally and physically)

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.blogspot.com) said...

This is so clever! I love hand-made gifts and these past few Christmases have found me making more and more of the gifts I give.

I love how perfect these look-- really, just like leather.

Love the name of your blog, by the way. I have a bathroom waiting for me to clean and here I am, blog-hopping! LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow Vanessa! I'm sure the girls enjoyed receiving these so much! They are stylish and trendy :) and the fact that you made them out of love makes them even more special. What a wonderful idea making a leather bracelet out of grungeboard! Unique and awesome!

OCCricutUser said...

Had NO idea that grungeboard would hold up like that! So CLEVER! I think you may be on to a $maker!!

Dianna said...

These are so cute and clever! Ma Ingalls would be so proud!