Sunday, August 28, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Hallelujah!  The kids are back in school.  Just the way God intended.

Try not to judge me too harshly for my uncontained excitement.  These are my grandkids.   My youngest child is 27.  I should be resting on a beach somewhere, not raising children for the 33rd consecutive year.  I'm tired.  I'm cranky.  I'm menopausal.

The past few months have claimed the last scraps of my sanity.  Yes, some stay-at-home moms/grandmoms look forward to summer.  I'm not one of them.  I do enjoy not having to struggle to get the kids out of bed at a reasonable hour.  And not fighting about homework is nice.  But having absolutely no time to myself makes me long for the first day of school.  Sure, I love these children.  Can't I love them from afar?  At least for a few hours a day?

This year has been especially difficult.  For various reasons we weren't able to take a vacation.  I really needed a vacation.  It's been the summer from hell.  I just wanted a chance to breath.

Chatty Cathy, age nine, has been following me around since June, unable to stop talking. Somewhere in a medical journal there must be a name for this disorder.  All I know is:  I can't take it any longer.  I love her dearly.  But if I were to go deaf tomorrow, it wouldn't be soon enough.

Lovesick Lucy, age 13, cycles from not speaking to me at all, yelling at me about some perceived injustice, or talking my ears off about the latest object of her affection.  I love her with all my heart.  But there's only room for one hormonal crazy woman in this house.  And I was here first.

I can't find it in the book of Genesis in my Bible, but I'm pretty sure somewhere in those first six days, God created school.

3 comments:

Carolyn/MamaC said...

It is Monday morning! The school bell to start classes will ring! You have the day to play! Enjoy!!
Carolyn
http://cccsraproom.blogspot.com

Dianna said...

You crack me up! Keep the sense of humor; it's the only thing keeping you out of the loony bin.
(You REALLY need to write a book.)

AndreaA said...

You are to funny!!!
I take care of my 3 youngest sometimes but enough. Except for the nine year old, I would keep her all the time. She wants to live with me so I won't be alone!!
My oldest Grandson I took care of from the time he was 6 weeks old until he was old enough to stay by his self.
Got up every morning cooked him breakfast every morning. And he stayed with us most weekends when PAPA was still here, but now I don't ever see him and he lives about thee minutes away from me.

My point is someday they will be too busy for you, still love you but no time for you.