Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cause for Celebration

According to the calendar, it was my granddaughter's 13th birthday.  I'm beginning to believe it was actually my special day.

We sang a pretty regrettable rendition of "Happy Birthday", ate cake and opened presents (mainly consisting of what every teen wants--hard, cold cash). The child realized she now had enough money to buy what she had always dreamed of (or if not always, at least for the past few months): an IPod Touch.  Grandpa said he'd take everyone with him to make the purchase, and I could stay home and have time to myself.


I had spent the afternoon doing last-minute birthday shopping, baking cakes, whipping up frosting, and decorating for the celebration.  I was also smack in the middle of a mountain of laundry, a sink full of dirty dishes, and making hundreds of trips up and down stairs in the ill-timed process of moving the entire contents of one room to another.  I wasn't exactly relaxing, but with the house to myself  I could now complete my chores without constantly being interrupted and pulled in fifty different directions.

I'll take what I can get.  Happy birthday to me!

No comments: